Sunday, April 02, 2006

Corinne Bailey Rae: sanitised soul

It's probably decades since I last went to a gig by the artiste currently topping the album charts. But last night I went to see Corinne Bailey Rae at Concorde 2 in Brighton. I came away asking myself the question 'what is the point of this woman?'

She's not the next Aretha Franklin. She's not even the next Bev Knight. Whoever branded CBR 'the black Dido' is actually hideously close to the mark.

Her own songs were lightweight. Candy floss lightweight. She did cover Led Zep's 'Since I've Been Loving You'. I was going to say she murdered it, but that would be putting it a bit strongly. She kind of slapped it about a little bit and told it not to be a bad boy.

I only hope the band is recently recruited for the tour, because it didn't seem to know the material particularly well.

Still, I suppose there will always be a market for 'black music' for people that don't particularly like black music.

PS: Some people evidently enjoyed the evening more than I did. Here's an enthusiastic blog review.

|

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?